Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Building Initiatives, or Building Initiatives?
Nobody Ever Washes a Rental

Have I mentioned that I am part of a district wide initiative to introduce web-based technologies to enhance student literacy? I was recently asked to discuss these building initiatives with my fellow teachers in an upcoming professional development day at the end of January, thus the title. I am never as secure discussing ideas of change amongst a group of my peers as I am amongst my students, or even the parents of my students. Probably because of the false perception often associated with any form of change, especially when the concept of change is presented by a peer. I thought I would share some observations and thoughts with you as I prepare for this session. Models of professional organization often operate with a stigma of poor communication of vision and objectives between administration and teacher, a structured framework that pigeon holes individuals into a set of guidelines that constricts creativity and ownership, a litany of false perceptions that construct the mount Everest of roadblocks, and the inherent failure most often associated with the principles of change, recognizing past practices (best-past practices) continue to have value, and may only need to evolve with the times. We have all been there, sitting usually in some auditorium environment with industrial colors, having individuals, usually with a power point, discuss some new idea of change, exclaiming "if you are not onboard the train, you will be left behind." Talk about the art of de-motivation. The sad thing is, when first told that I would lead a portion of the upcoming staff development day, I began to prepare a 28 slide power point presentation. What is the problem with presenters, why do we often forget how it feels to sit in as the audience? Scratch the power point.Recently, I was traveling back from New Jersey, driving a rented brand new 2007 Toyota Sienna mini-van, listening to Bob Seager's "Roll Me Away", this was sadly cool to me (mind you I have four kids). While driving, I could not help but think how I would treat such an outstanding piece of Japanese technology if it were mine. I would bath it once a week, wax it seasonally, and even place carpets inside, during the winter months, to preserve the beige carpets. However, for the time being, I was beating on this fine piece of machinery, realizing it is a rental and nobody ever washes a rental. The same holds true for change, especially in education. How can education overcome stigmas and preconceived notions, which have rendered educational change ineffective, initiative after initiative? How can educational administrators motivate teachers to thirst for innovation? How can professionals, many of which have been teaching as long as I, if not longer, am expected to buy into any form of change? Maybe it's as simple as ownership and I am talking real ownership.

Ownership that throws out traditional frameworks and planning structures allowing for individual learning styles, learning curves, and creativity. Staff development that is planned and exercised by the staff. Staff development that constructs open forum discussions, supported by best practice sharing, along with tutorial guidance, and information sharing. Professionals whose involvement will give them value and equity in the direction of education.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: